This page contains information about Texas Trade and Industrial Education teacher certification.  The University of Texas at El Paso assists future teachers completing certification for secondary Trade and Industrial Education certification; however, The State Board for Educator Certification makes the final decision on all teacher certification in the State of Texas.  This decision is made after you have completed a one-year Trade and Industrial Education instructional internship.  Please do not interpret this website as “the official word.”  Again, The University of Texas at El Paso (and all other Texas institutions and certification agencies) only makes a recommendation for certification to SBEC.  SBEC makes the final decision on all teacher certification in the State of Texas.




Trade and Industrial Education, often called TIE, prepares individuals for initial employment in a wide range of industrial occupations.  TIE programs prepare individuals for employment in the diverse industrial and service sectors of our nation’s economy.  This includes training for apprenticeable trades, technical occupations, and other industrial and service occupations.  TIE is considered to be the broadest of all career and technology education (CATE) fields, with training programs designed to prepare workers in a wide range of trade and industrial occupations classified on multiple levels of employment ranging from operatives to semi-skilled and skilled craftspersons and technicians of less than baccalaureate degree.  TIE occupations are found in a variety of job categories such as manufacturing, construction, communications, printing, transportation, mining, protective services, visual arts, personal services, and building and maintenance service occupations.


Programs in Trade and Industrial Education (TIE) are offered in some middle/junior high schools as exploratory courses which introduce students to the many diverse occupations and careers in the business and industrial sector of the economy and provide them with opportunities to engage in basic work tasks in a laboratory environment.  TIE programs at the high school level are delivered through specific labor market preparation programs using the cluster approach, single-occupation approach, or through a work-based learning program. 


There are many different occupational areas in Trade and Industrial Education (TIE), as shown in the chart below.


Sample Listing of Trade and Industrial Education Programs


Machine Trades

Marine Engine Repair

Automotive Technician

Architectural Drafting

Collision Repair Technology

Industrial Maintenance Technology

Technical Drafting


Culinary Arts

Drafting Technology

Law Enforcement



Motorcycle Service Technology

Graphic Arts

Robotic Workcell Technology

Custodial Services


Electrical Trades

Advertising Design

Masonry Trades

Brick Masonry

Air Conditioning & Refrigeration

Automated Manufacturing

Appliance Repair

Air-cooled Gasoline Engine Repair

Telecommunications Technology

Sheet Metal Fabrication

Heavy Equipment Mechanics

Residential and Commercial Plumbing

Computer Assisted Drafting and Design


Commercial Photography

Precision Machine Technology

Plastics Technology

Diesel Equipment Technology


Since Trade and Industrial Education occupations are so diverse, the work-based education option is provided in many schools to allow students the opportunity to receive work preparation in occupations which are not part of the regular school career and technical program or to develop job skills in a real work environment to enhance what they have learned in available TIE programs.


Secondary Trade and Industrial Education (TIE) programs provide classroom instruction in applied academics and the basic concepts and principles of an occupation or job, followed by opportunities to apply what they have learned in laboratory projects and actual live-work projects such as servicing customers’ cars in an automotive technology program.


Graduate Credit or Post Baccalaureate?


The University of Texas at El Paso has two enrollment options for Trade and Industrial Education teacher certification.  The first option is to take the required certification courses for graduate credit.  Twelve of the 21 hours can be used towards a Master of Education degree in Career and Technology.  Teachers who hold a masters degree generally make from $1,000 to $2,000 annually above those with only a bachelors degree.  The CATE Master’s Degree Program of Study can be designed so that elective and resource classes can build toward increasing quality teaching or toward additional certification endorsements (i.e., principal’s certification, guidance endorsement, etc.).


The second option is to pursue the certification through a post baccalaureate or certification only route.  The requirements to complete your certification are similar to the graduate credit option, although the cost is somewhat less and certification only courses cannot be used toward a master’s degree.




Career and Technology Certification Plan:


A CATE Trades and Industrial Certification plan lists the required courses and activities that the applicant MUST complete before UTEP will recommend a student to SBEC for certification in Trade and Industrial Education.


A CATE Trades and Industrial Certification Plan is needed for a teacher to be hired by a school district to teach Trade and Industrial Education.  You do NOT have to complete the requirements for certification before you can be hired.  However, an official CATE Certification Plan must be on file with the school district before you can begin teaching.  Please note that ALL new Career and Technology Education educators are hired in this manner.


The Trade and Industrial Education certificate is based on academic preparation and experience in the skill areas to be taught and completion of specified pedagogy and professional development courses.


The following is needed before a CATE Certification Plan can be processed:

  • Official transcripts of all colleges/universities ever attended and/or copy of high school diploma or equivalent.
  • $50 money order payable to the University of Texas at El Paso (non-refundable) indicating your name and social security number.
  • Photocopies of all relevant certifications, registrations, and/or licensures
  • Three letters of professional recommendation, one from an educator.  

When you have gathered/completed the above make an appointment to be advised by Dr. Darlene Brown:


                The University of Texas at El Paso

                College of Education/Teacher Education 

College of Ed. Rm. 210

                500 W. University Avenue

                El Paso, Texas 79968

                (915) 747-7605

              This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.




1.                 Admissions to UTEP through the Undergraduate or Graduate School.  .


2.                 Admission to College of Education

a.       Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA) tests requirements:  Reading = 250 (Only Reading required).


3.                 Complete CATE Certification Plan requirements:


Trade and Industrial Education Requirements:


EDCT 4300/5300     Instructional Design, Delivery, and Assessment in CATE

EDCT 4301/5301     Instructional Management, Safety, and Relationships in CATE

EDCT 4302/5303     Instructional Coordination, Guidance, and CTSOs in CATE

RED   3343/5340    Literacy in Technical Content Area

EDPC 3300                  Developmental Variations

EDCT 4303                  Internship I in Career and Technology Education

EDCT 4304                  Internship II in Career and Technology Education


The qualifications for teaching are as follows:


Option I requirements:


A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution;

Three years of full-time wage-earning experience within the past eight years in one or more approved occupations for which instruction is offered.  Up to 18 months of the wage-earning experience can be through a formal documented internship.


Option II requirements:


An associates’ degree from an accredited institution;

Three years of full-time wage-earning experience within the past eight years in one or more approved occupations for which instruction is offered.


Option III requirements:


A  high school diploma or the equivalent;

Five years of full-time wage-earning experience within the past eight years in one or more approved occupations for which instruction is offered.


All options require the following:


Current licensure, certification, or registration by a state or nationally recognized accrediting agency as a professional practitioner in one or more approved occupations for which instruction is offered.

Licensure, certification, or registration by a nationally recognized accrediting agency must be based on a recognized test or measurement.

If the licensure, certification, or registration is NOT based on a recognized test or measurement, then passing of the appropriate National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) written and performance examinations is required. 

Prospective TIE teachers shall submit evidence detailing prior experience and skill area preparation utilizing the licensure requirements above.   This form is approved by Dr. Robert E. Gunter.

Attend the New Teacher Workshop AND attend the Texas Trade and Industrial Education Professional Development Conference.   A Certificate of Completion must be submitted to Dr. Robert E. Gunter prior to certification. 

Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA) tests requirements:  Reading = 250.


4.                 Letter of Acceptance for Certification


School districts require that students provide them with a “Letter of Acceptance” for certification.  This letter can be utilized by students that have an official CATE Certification Plan on file in the office of Dr. Robert E. Gunter, Director of CATE Certification.


5.                 Emergency Teaching Permit


  • The local school district will apply for and issue an Emergency Teaching Permit for the CATE student with an official CATE Certification Plan.
  • Teaching status:

o       A hired teacher in a school district teaching Career and Technology Education (teacher of record), or

o       A certified teacher in another recognized certification area.


Taking the TExES Pedagogy and Professional Responsibility Exam


You will need to go to for testing information.  If you have any questions please contact: Manuel Cano, Coordinator of Standards and Student Data, Dean’s Office, College of Education, 747-8086,  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .  Before an official barcode can be issued to you for the TExES PPR exam, you must first complete the following:


  • You must be enrolled in EDCT 4303 Internship I for Career and Technology Education and have received an unweighted average of 80% or higher on the final examinations for EDCT 4300, 4301, and 4302.
  • If the unweighted average of 80% is not obtained, then you must complete a TIE PPR examination review session and retest to obtain the 80% or higher average.
  • Obtain the official UTEP barcode and testing application form from Bernadette Morgan, Certification Specialist, 747-5408, Dean’s Office, College of Education, fourth floor, Rm. 412, for the TExES 170 TIE PPR examination.
  • You must be enrolled in EDCT 4304 Internship II for Career and Technology Education and then apply online to SBEC for the next scheduled testing date. 
  • Completion of TExES 170 TIE PPR exam to receive a grade for the internship experience.


Applying for Certification


Once you have completed all of the requirements listed on your CATE Certification Plan and have verified completion with an exit interview with your advisor, you are eligible to apply your Trade and Industrial Education Standard Teaching certificate.  Please remember that you are responsible for “keeping track” of certification activities, classes, paperwork, and documentation.


With verification of completion, you will need to apply online to SBEC for your standard certificate. 


Once you apply online, your application will automatically appear on Dr. Gunter’s listing for verification that all requirements for UTEP have been met.  Once the verification has been given, he will recommend you to the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC).  The State Board for Educator Certification will make the final decision on issuing your certification.  This is a five year renewable certificate